Ruth Parasol has been and continues to be instrumental in supporting the educational provision of the University.
Ms Parasol, through the Parasol Foundation Trust, has directly contributed to the University by supporting:
- The Parasol Library and Librarian.
- Numerous purchases of books and online library materials.
- Curriculum development investment put towards all current academic programmes.
- The Parasol Scholarship (which, to date, has provided full tuition fee funding for five BBA students for the full length of their degrees).
- The Parasol Foundation Environmental Scholarship (provides full tuition fee and living expenses funding for a MSc Marine Science and Climate Change student).
The above-mentioned scholarship funding alone has changed and enriched the lives of all the students concerned, since most, if not all, would have been unable to pursue university studies without this.
It is only fitting that the University should recognise the extraordinary contribution made by Ms Parasol to its programme development and infrastructure, and the life-changing support provided to a growing number of University students, by awarding her the title of Doctor Honoris Causa.
Gilbert Licudi QC
Gilbert Licudi was the first Minister in Gibraltar with responsibility for the University of Gibraltar. During his time as an elected Member of the Gibraltar Parliament, he helped make the University of Gibraltar a reality.
Involved in the planning and implementation of not just the physical, but also the legal, regulatory and organisational frameworks, Mr Licudi’s conviction in the University and willingness to ‘go the extra mile’ to overcome obstacles made him the person most directly responsible for the successful opening of the institution on the 15th of September 2015.
After the University had been established, Mr Licudi continued to support, enhance and protect the University well beyond the normal expectations of his position.
It is only fitting that the University should recognise the extraordinary contribution made by Mr Licudi to its inception, development and future by awarding him the title of Doctor Honoris Causa.