Life in Gibraltar

Living and studying in a different country can be both exciting and challenging. To assist, we’ve put together a short guide about some of the more important things you’ll need to know about life at the University of Gibraltar.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for on this page, don’t worry just contact our Student Experience Officers who will be happy to help. Please fill in our enquiry form and we will get back to you within two working days.


Living on campus

Most students in their first year will live on campus in our student accommodation at the Europa Suites. If you’re an international student, we’ll give you priority. If for any reason we can’t find a place for you in our student accommodation on campus, our Student Experience team will assist you to find private accommodation.

Living in private accommodation

After your first year of study, you may be able to live on campus in our student accommodation, however this sometimes is not possible. If you cannot stay in our student accommodation, we’ll assist you to find a place to live. If applicable, we will also assist you to find accommodation that includes your family.

Academic Life

Studying at the University of Gibraltar may be different to what you’re used to in your own country. Our programmes are normally split up into ‘modules’ which cover different topics within the overall subject you’re studying. These modules are usually taught in lectures and tutorial (practical application) sessions.

You will benefit from face to face learning and small class sizes, approaches that place you at the heart of learning and ensure your experience is enjoyable. You will have the chance to put into practice what you’re learning, with local (and a possibility of international) placements during each year of your studies.

To help you get settled into academic life at the University of Gibraltar, we’ll invite you to an orientation programme. This takes place before the start of the academic year and is designed to introduce you to life in Gibraltar and help you prepare to study at the University of Gibraltar. For some students, attending the orientation programme may be mandatory.

English language support

If English is not your first language, you can access the University of Gibraltar Language Centre prior to the start of your programme. The language centre offers classes, one-to-one sessions and pre-sessional English language courses. We’ll tell you more about these services when you apply, but you can also get in touch with us if you have any questions.

Health and hospitals

As a student pursuing studies in Gibraltar, it is crucial that you have sufficient medical health cover in place to satisfy residency prerequisites. There are two main options available to you. Firstly, you can opt to pay the Health Surcharge, which is £470 annually and grants you access to the Gibraltar Health Authority (GHA). Alternatively, you could secure a comprehensive private medical insurance policy for your duration in Gibraltar.
Before finalising a private medical insurance plan, please liaise with the Student Experience Office to ascertain the specific criteria.
Mirroring the UK’s system, Gibraltar’s healthcare provision is funded via Social Insurance Contributions. This ensures that all qualifying residents and registered workers in Gibraltar enjoy equal access to the GHA, without having to pay each time they utilise healthcare services such as doctor visits or hospital stays.
As an international student in Gibraltar, paying the Health Surcharge allows you to benefit from the GHA in the same manner as eligible Gibraltar residents and registered workers.
Once you’ve paid your tuition fee deposit and secured your place in your chosen programme, you will be invited to pay the Health Surcharge.
Should you need further clarification regarding the Health Surcharge, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Student Experience Office.

Contacting home

Mobile Phones

There is one mobile phone network in Gibraltar, Gibtelecom. They offer ‘pay as you go’ SIM cards with no contract. We recommend comparing the different offers and tariffs so as to find the best deal for you.


The postal service in Gibraltar is good value and reliable. To post letters or postcards, you’ll need to buy stamps from the Post Office, attach them to the top-right corner and post your item in a post-box. For larger items such as parcels or packages, you’ll need to take them to the Post Office – where you can also send items using secure or quick delivery services.

Video call and email

If you’re staying in our student accommodation at the Europa Suites, we’ll give you access to Wi-Fi internet for free, so you may want to use a free video calling program such as Skype to speak to friends and family at home. You’ll also be given a university email address, which you can use to keep in touch.

Money and insurance


Banks in Gibraltar are normally open from 9.30-16.30, Monday-Friday. To open a bank account, you’ll need your passport or ID card, your visa and residence permit and some evidence of the course you’re studying and proof of address. Two major banks in the town centre are NatWest and Gibraltar International Bank.

Exchanging Currency

If you need to exchange foreign currency, you can do this at most banks or at an exchange bureau. For Euros and US Dollars you can usually do this on the same day, but for other currencies you may need to call to make arrangements in advance.


Although crime rates are very low in Gibraltar, we’d still recommend that you insure your personal possessions. There are numerous insurance companies in Gibraltar which offer such policies we can assist you by providing their contact details.

Transport and travel

Airport links

The only airport in Gibraltar is the Gibraltar International Airport, from which you can take a bus or taxi to the university campus. Alternatively, you could fly in to Malaga Airport in Spain, which has regular flights to and from countries all over the world, as long as you obtain the relevant visa to enter Spain.

Free bus service

You will be eligible to apply for a Gibraltar Bus Company Club Card as enrolled students of the university. With the Bus Company Club Card you will be eligible for free bus transport across Gibraltar.


The University has a cycle stand for anyone wishing to cycle and leave their bike whilst on campus.


There is just one taxi firm in Gibraltar, The Gibraltar Taxi Association, which provides transport around town.

Working in Gibraltar

If you’re studying in Gibraltar on a student visa, you can take on some part-time work. Depending on your visa, you should be able to work up to 20 hours per week. On your student visa, you are not allowed to take on a full-time job or be self-employed.

If you are from an EU country, there are no restrictions on the amount of hours you can work alongside your studies, but please remember working too much might impact your studies.

Part-time work is often advertised in local newspapers or at the local employment service.

Post-study employment

On completion of your degree programme, non-EU international students can remain in Gibraltar for a further two years for full-time internships or employment in local businesses. The intention of this programme is to encourage our graduates to consolidate their studies through professional experience.

Non-EU international students on a student visa will be allowed a post study job search period of a maximum of three months after their respective graduation.